Thrift Store Crafts

0 Flares 0 Flares ×

By Yarn and Needlework Contributor Stephanie from the blog Twilly 23

In need of a craft project but not sure what to make? Visit your local thrift store and search for unfinished projects. If you can sew, you can finish a handmade coat. Or if you crochet, perhaps you’ll find a box of granny squares like I did. This tutorial will show you how to complete two thrift store finds.

CRAFT:
Sewing, Crochet

DIFFICULTY:
Intermediate

MATERIALS:

TUTORIAL:

This handknit coat was stuffed into a garbage bag and came from my local thrift store.

First I spread out the knit item to see if any parts needed attached. The outer shell was already assembled.

The liner was assembled but its edges were unfinished. The sleeves were also a bit smaller than the knit sleeves which made me suspect it was the reason for its abandonment.

As I pinned the liner into place, I folded over the raw edge.

By pinning the sleeves a bit below the cuff I managed to make them stretch enough for the length.

I used a simple straight stitch to attach the inner and outer shells.

It was easy to hide my stitches on the knit side of the coat.

After stitching the liner into place I did another round of stitches to secure it down.

The intersection of the sleeve and side seam was tacked down with a few stitches. This helped ensure the sleeve stayed in place since the inner sleeve was shorter than the outer sleeve.

Now I have a new to me coat that didn’t take long to finish.

The combined knitwear and liner make this coat pretty toasty. I’ll be wearing it this winter.

This box of granny squares was another find.

There were a total of 81 squares. For my afghan I used 80. Some squares had a green border finish while others did not.

After examining the yarn I determined it was acrylic and suspected Red Heart was the brand used. This brand of yarn doesn’t have dye lots and I luckily had the exact shade of green in my stash. If you don’t have matching yarn to assemble granny squares, find a coordinating color.

The green border was a combination of double crochet and chain stitches. My repica isn’t an exact copy of the original maker’s work but it’s a close enough match.

An extra round of green was then added to all the squares to give extra space between the flowers. This round complimented the stitches in the former round.

Once all the flowers had completed borders it was time to arrange them into an afghan shape. I settled on an 8 x 10 square pattern.

Blanket stitch could have been used to attach the squares. Instead I used a single crochet stitch to add more 3D texture to the blanket. I stitched the horizontal rows first.

The vertical rows were next. I tucked in my ends as I crocheted along which saved weaving in time at the end.

Once the blanket was assembled I added three rows of single crochet to make a border.

There were a few ends to weave in after finishing.

One person’s cast away can become your favorite new afghan.

Craft on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- 0 Flares ×

Tell Us What You Think!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *