By General Crafts Contributor Michelle
Create a festive ornament for the coffee-lover in your life with this sweet tutorial.
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own:
- Little red plastic cups (I found 12-packs in the dollar store, but have also seen them in the regular grocery store with the disposable cups)
- FloraCraft Smooth Foam Ball 1 1/2 in. 12 pc.
- Scrap paper (for stuffing the cups)
- Drinking straws
- Darice Chenille Stems 6 mm x 12 in. Candy Cane Twist 12 pc.
- Tulip Dimensional Fabric Paint 4 oz. Slick White
- Scribbles 3D Fabric Paint 1 oz. Shiny Hot Chocolate
- Stampendous Fran-Tage Shaved Ice .49 oz.
- Christmas stickers
- Doodlebug Doodle Twine 20 yd. Ladybug
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Knife (For cutting styro balls in half) or foam cutter
To begin, cut one styrofoam ball in half.
Crumple up some paper, and stuff into the bottom of your cup to fill the space. We are going to glue the half Styrofoam ball onto the top of the paper to create the domed top, so place as much paper as you want for the ball to stick up as far as you want it to.
Use hot glue to adhere the half Styrofoam ball to the top of the paper.
Cut a small length of drinking straw. Use your pencil to poke a hole into the Styrofoam where you want to attach the straw, and then glue the piece of straw into the hole.
Cut a small length of chenille stem, and form a little candy cane. Once again, use your pencil to poke a hole in the Styrofoam, and then glue the end of your candy cane into the hole.
Squeeze swirls of the white paint onto the Styrofoam ball to cover, and create the look of whipped cream.
Squeeze a spiral of brown paint around the top of the coffee to create a chocolate swirl. While the paint is wet, sprinkle with a little glitter, if desired. Let dry completely–this will take several hours.
Decorate your cup with a sticker.
Tie a loop of twine, and slip knot it onto the candy cane to hang.