By Sewing Contributor Jessica, from the blog “Life Sew Good”.
Wine is always a popular hostess gift, but here’s a way to add a little personality or person touch to your gift: make a bag! This simple project should take you less than an hour, even if you’re not a practiced seamstress.
Important tip (for this and all tutorials!): While I always read through directions before I sew a project, without exception I get confused at some point. It’s only when I actually begin doing what the directions say that certain steps make sense. If you get confused while reading this, just cut your fabric and go for it! The directions will make more sense as you go. If you have questions, leave a comment.
How to do it:
1. Cut a piece of fabric 19″ x 14″.
2. Fold fabric 3 ¾” toward center from the top (19″ side) , wrong sides together. Press fold.
3. Sew your 1st seam ¼” from bottom of folded piece.
4. Sew a 2nd seam ¾” above first seam. This provides a casing for a drawstring closing.
5. Snip fabric ½” in, just above 1st seam and just below 2nd seam. Tuck The little piece inside the casing. Repeat on other side. (The picture shows an extra snip on the other side—that is not necessary. The middle piece in the picture is what yours will look like. Tuck that in.)
6. Fold fabric in ½, lengthwise, right sides together.
7. Using ½” seam allowance, begin sewing at the bottom of the fabric, next to the fold. Sew across the bottom, then up the side, all the way to the bottom of your casing. Backstitch to hold your seam. Then sew another seam from top, only sewing down the side, stopping at the top of your casing.
8. Serge, zigzag, or pink your seams.
9. Turn right side out.
11. Fill bag with a bottle of wine and you’re done!