Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, I mean how can you miss it with all of the pink and hearts all over stores. Elyse’s school (aka daycare) is having a little party and I wanted to be sure that she had something festive to wear for the occasion.
By Kid’s Craft Contributor, Gillian from the blog “Dried Figs and Wooden Spools”.
My daughter loves loves loves her doll. So much that she totes her everywhere, tucks her in at night, and changes her clothes every morning. Which means that she needs at least a little variety to her tiny wardrobe. This simple and quick skirt has been my answer, easy to make out of remnants, it’s the perfect skirt for any doll.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Two different colors of knit fabric remnants
- Sewing machine and notions
- Fabric measuring tape
- Fabric scissors
1. Start by measuring the waist of the doll in centimeters. Take this measurement and subtract 3 centimeters from it. This is measurement A.
2. Next measure the length you want the skirt and add 3 centimeters. This is measurement B.
3. From one of your pieces of fabric, cut a rectangle that is 4 inches wide and as long as measurement A. This is your waistband.
4. Cut a second rectangle that is twice the length of measurement A and the height of measurement B, this is the main part of the skirt.
5. With the right sides together, sew the short ends of the waist band together and turn the loop right side out. Fold over to create a double thick waistband. *Be sure to use a zig zag stitch so that the fabric will stretch!*
6. With the right sides together, sew the short ends of the main skirt piece together. Turn the bottom edge of the loop up and hem using a zig zag stitch. With your machine on the longest length, stitch across the top edge of the fabric without locking the stitches. Pull the bobbin thread to create a gathered top. Turn the loop right side out.
7. Pull the waistband over the skirt and line up the raw edges of each. Using a zig zag stitch, sew both layers together. Trim all threads and turn the waistband up to reveal the finished skirt.