Time for sweet dreams! Learn more about this lovely pillow and quilt for an 18″ doll bed.
In my recent blog 18 Inch Doll Bed and Storage – Part 1, I introduced my project to make a bed, storage, clothes, jewelry, and shoes for 18″ dolls – my niece’s and my doll Audrey Ann. That posting discussed how to make the doll bed, mattress, and fitted sheet. Today’s blog will cover making the pillow, pillowcase, and doll quilt.
Here are the supplies used:
- Fabric – for pillow, pillowcase, and quilt; details in text below
- Cotton thread for piecing, machine quilting, and hand sewing binding – Aurifil works well
- Rotary cutter – I used a Olfa Rotary Cutter 45 mm Deluxe
- Glass head pins – I used Clover Patchwork Pins Glass Head 100 pc.
- Self-healing cutting mat
- OmniGrip Ruler – I used a 8-1/2″ x 24″ and 6″ x 12″ ruler
- OmniGrip Non-slip 20-1/2″X 20-1/2″ Ruler
- Mary Ellen’s Best Press (optional)
- Fairfield Fiber Poly Fil
- 505 Spray & Fix
- Hera Marker
- Hand sewing needle for binding – I use Black Gold Appliqué/ Sharp Size 9
Note: All seams are 1/4 ” and sewn with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise stated.
Oops! I have no photos of making the pillow – but it is constructed with two pieces of white fabric 6″ x 7-1/2″ placed RST and sewn 1/4″ all around leaving a 2″-3″ opening for filling. I did trim the corners before turning the pillow form right side out and pressing with Mary Ellen’s Best Press The pillow was stuffed with Fairfield Fiber Poly Fil until pleasingly full and then the opening was sewn shut.
I used three fabrics for the pillowcase – for the body, cuff, and accent trim.
White print for the body – (2) 12-1/2″ x 7-1/2″
Pink print for the cuff – (2) 12-1/2″ x 4″
Blue tone-on-tone for the accent trim – (2) 12-1/2″ x 1″
Note: If the print is directional, pay attention to the direction of the design when cutting, so it goes the way you want in the finished pillowcase (the body will be folded in half to make the pillowcase).
I pinned the accent strip to the pillow cuff matching the ends and sewed the 1/4″ seam.
After pressing the seam to the accent strip, the accent strip was sewn to the long side of the pillowcase body.
Pressing to the accent strip enables the trim to pop up some.
I folded the pillowcase body in half with wrong sides together and sewed along the open side and end using a scant 1/4″ seam. It seemed strange, but was correct for French seams – the raw edges will be encased the final seam.
After turning the pillowcase wrong side out, I sewed a 3/8″ (big enough the cover the first seam allowance) along the same two sides and trimmed the two corners a bit. The pillow case was finished by turning it right side out and pressing. The pillow fit inside the pillowcase easily.
I think the pillow turned out an appropriate size but it could be bigger – the scale was smaller than a real standard pillow on a twin bed.
It was time to make the bed quilt – which I figured out as I went along. Doll quilts can be quite simple, but I chose to make the blocks on point so I could highlight the unicorn heads to their best advantage.
Note: I will show some steps, but detailed instructions for miniature piecing for a mini quilt set on point are beyond the scope of this posting. The brief instructions will make more sense to an experienced quilter but be insufficient for non-quilters and some novice quilters.
To start, I fussy cut 3″ squares on point centered on the unicorn heads. After sewing sashing and cornerstone pieces as shown, side setting triangles were added and trimmed.
A corner setting triangle was added – with all seams pressed to the sashing.
The unicorn/sashing blocks and setting triangles were sewn into rows…
and the rows were sewn together to make the quilt top. I made the setting triangles very oversized so the blocks seemed to “float” against the border.
I spray basted the three layers of the quilt sandwich – a back of a solid purplish pink flannel wrong side up, batting, and the quilt top right side up – with 505 Spray & Fix in preparation for quilting. I sewed stitch-in-the ditch in all seams around the blocks and then added echo quilting lines in the setting triangles. A Hera marker worked well for marking the lines without having to draw the lines.
The quilting lines show up well on the back. I added binding to match the sashing strips.
Audrey Ann is snuggled under the quilt on the new bed. The quilt turned out to be about 23″ square.
Actually, the first quilt went to my niece – I had to make another for Audrey Ann! I wanted to make the quilt a bit bigger this time, so I added some borders.
The quilt was too big, so I trimmed off enough of the borders to make it fit the bed better.
I loved using my OmniGrip Non-slip 20-1/2″X 20-1/2″ Ruler for this step – as I use it to square up quilts of all sizes before adding binding.
This doll bed quilt ended up about 26″ square which was perfect for hanging over the sides of the bed when the doll was in it.
I did simpler quilting on the second one – with the quilting lines along the sashing continued into the borders. With the help of the Hera marker, the quilting went quickly and easily.
You can see the second quilt hangs over the bed a bit more.
I found that for these doll quilts, they hung over the bed more evenly on three sides if I folded the top of the quilt down some.
Here is Audrey Ann tucked into the storage bin with a quilt, clothes, jewelry, and shoes. I was pleased how well this project turned out – and my niece enjoys playing hers as well. Now, our dolls have a cozy bed to sleep in and a convenient place to be stored.
My next blogs will continue with a clothes rack and many accessories – so please check back.