By General Crafts Contributor Sammy from the blog Seriously, Sammy?!
New Year. New You. New Blah. Don’t get me wrong, I love the New Year. Another milestone, a wonderful time to reflect, and it’s so very hopeful…but the PRESSURE! Today’s post is simple, easy and if you want to create a chalkboard, read on.
I am not sure if my friends like to indulge me with their how to questions typically related to crafts and DIYs. I get excited to share, provide details…and then I end up disheartened. Less than three minutes into it, they typically end up disengaged and utter those four words, “I am not creative.” UGH. No such thing as a non-creative being. But more on that in a later post.
This post is a sinchy tutorial, meant to show you how easy it really is to just create or do something. To start off the New Year (no pressure), I wanted a new chalkboard. Mine was looking old and worn. It bothered me to see last month’s message in the faded background. Reminds me of how I would have such a hard time focusing as a kid…when it was time to Social Studies and all I would see were math problems in the background, not fully erased. Seriously. Not okay.
Rather than $pend bucks on a new board, I learned about this amazing jar of goodness, Chalkboard Paint, and so…I painted away. As a matter of fact, it’s meant to create a chalkboard on wood, paper mache, canvas, terra cotta, or most porous surfaces. Whatever the surface you choose, here’s what you will need:
- 1 Jar of Plaid’s Paint it On, chalk it up! Chalkboard Paint (I chose #2517 Black). I got mine from CreateForLess 😉
- Paint Brush
- Multi-Surface Cleaner Spray (soap and water work too).
- Paper Towels
- Your chosen chalkboard surface (I used my old chalkboard since I wanted to give it a lift)
- Clean the surface. Apply soap or spray, and wipe it down clean with the paper towel. Allow to dry.
Clean the surface
- Once dried, with your brush, apply the paint to the board/ surface. Allow to dry (give it an hour).
Apply a coat of chalkboard paint.
- Repeat Step #2 for a second coat.
Apply a second coat.
- Chalk away! Enjoy your new chalkboard and post your messages all year long.
Happy 2016, Happy Chalking!