By Sewing Contributor Courteney from the blog Crafting with Court.
Often times at parties, it’s easy for wine glasses to get confused. There are countless “wine charm” products out there for you to buy to have guests put on their glasses; there are even DIY wine charm projects out there. But wine charms don’t protect your wood surfaces from damage; you still need a coaster for that. So, why not combine the idea of a wine charm with the practicality of a coaster? Follow this tutorial and make wine coasters out of all your scrap fabrics. Guests will be able to identify their wine glass by the fabric on their coaster and you don’t have to worry about running around with coasters!
- Create your 4” circle template. I used the mouth glass, but you can make a template out cardboard as well.
- Using your template, trace 1 circle of felt and 2 circles of cotton. Cut out these circles.
- Fold both of your cotton circles in half and iron flat.
- Pin your two half circles to your felt so it looks like you have a complete circle.
- Run a ½” seam around the edge of the project.
- Flip the project so the seam is on the inside
- Run a ¼” finishing seam around the edge of your project.
- Put on the bottom of a wine glass and enjoy!