By Sewing Contributor Courteney from the blog Crafting with Court.
The Fourth of July is just around the corner. I know I have celebrations to attend, and I bet you do, too. I wanted to have a patriotic shirt that no one else would have. I thought about the things I loved, which are pocket tees and quilting. So, I created my own American flag pocket tee. By following this tutorial, you can have a fun tee that shows off your love of sewing and America!
- Cut your navy blue fabric into a 2.75”x3” rectangle. Cut four strips of 1.25” x 5” red fabric. Cut three strips of 1.25 x 5” white fabric.
- Using a ¼” seam, sew three of your strips together in the following order: red, white, red.
- Using a ¼” seam, sew your remaining four strips together in the following order: white, red, white, red (Note: I forgot the final red strip and added it in later)
- Iron the seam flat on both pieces.
- Sew the piece you created in Step 2 with to the navy blue rectangle using a ¼” seam. Make sure your attaching your strip to the 2.75” side of the navy blue rectangle.
- Sew the piece you created in Step 3 under the navy blue rectangle using a ¼” seam.
- Cut the excess off of the top of your making all of your stripes even. Your finished product should be a 5” x 6” rectangle.
- From here forward, follow my Pocket T-Shirt DIY Tutorial to turn your flag in the perfect pocket tee.