By General Crafts Contributor Erin from the blog Lovesome.
The 4th of July is coming up (I can’t believe it’s almost July!), and for me that always means barbecues, fireworks, and red, white, and blue. In keeping with the red, white, and blue theme I have a fun DIY, no-sew bunting to share with you today!
Let’s get started, shall we?
What you need:
What to do:
1. Start by mixing your colors. You will need two cups or bowls, one for red dye and one for blue. I used disposable cups, but you can use whatever you have on-hand. I put about 1/2 cup of water in each cup and then added drops of food coloring until the water reached the desired color. Use one coffee filter as a tester, dip it and see what the color is. If it’s too light add more food coloring, if it’s too dark add more water.
2. Fold your coffee filter before you dip it, just as shown above. Fold in half, then in half again, in half again, and in half one last time. You should have made four folds when you are done and the filter should be a small triangle.
3. Dip one end in the blue, flip over, and dip the other end in the red. Make sure you don’t dip either end too far into the water so you can keep some of the white.
I found that the water soaked through the rounded end much faster than the pointy end, so keep that in mind when you dip.
4. Unfold the dipped filters until they are half-circles and lay them on paper towels to dry.
5. Once your dyed filters are dry, string them on the twine or string, hang, and enjoy! (I used tape to ensure the filters stayed closed around the string, but if used indoors that step might not be necessary.)
It kind of has a tie-dye feel to it, right? I can’t wait to put this baby up for the 4th. Bring on the fireworks!