Kolorful Kid CoutureFebruary 10, 2013 10:22 am Accessories, Beading, Crafts, Jewelry Making, Kid's Crafts, Necklaces
By Crafts-a lot Contributor, Mable who is an avid reader of craft blogs & magazines and has aspirations to improve her crafting skills. Join Mable on Facebook to socialize and share with other crafters!
Celebrity Craft Professional Mark Montano’s latest book the Big-Ass Book of Bling is full of enough projects to cover you in bling from head to toe! Learn how to take inexpensive plastic beads and make them look fabulous! Visit our friend Mark Montano’s website for even more crafty and DIY bling ideas!
I got a huge bottle of these plastic Melty Beads (also called Perler Beads) at Ikea years ago and I love them. They reminded me of my trip to Africa and all of the beautiful colors that were mixed together in their art and accessories. This project is perfect for kids but I’ll bet that you’ll enjoy it just as much. I know I did. Try using only one or two colors instead of all of them. Maybe just red and blue or yellow and orange. It’s really up to you. Just have fun.
- Bottle or bag of Melty beads or Perler beads (Createforless.com)
- Tons of 5” long nylon zip ties
- Black chain (or any tone you like) with large links
- 10” for each long necklace
- 8” for each choker
- 1 lobster claw per short choker and for each bracelet
- 2 large jump rings for short choker and for each bracelet
- Create several links by adding 11 beads on each nylon tie and then zipping them closed.
- Carefully cut of the excess.
- String your beads on another tie and loop it through the first and then zip it closed again. See, you’re creating a chain already!
- Create chains that about 27-31 links long depending on how long you want your necklaces.
- Add your last links through the end link on the 8” piece of your large link chain.
- Do the same on the other end to finish.
- Follow the steps above but only use one color per link.
- Create 3 lengths links that are 7, 9 and 11 links long.
- Cut your large link chain into two 4” long pieces.
- Add all 3 beaded links to one more link and add that one link to the chain.
- Do the same on the other side.
- Add jump rings and a lobster claw to the ends for a closure.
- Repeat the instructions on creating links for the necklaces.
- Create as many links as wrap around your wrist.
- Add a large jump ring and lobster claw to the ends for a closure.