Packaging Your Handmade GiftsJanuary 16, 2013 10:22 am Crafts, Green Crafting, Holidays
By Crafts-a lot Contributor, Mable who is an avid reader of craft blogs & magazines and has aspirations to improve her crafting skills. Join Mable on Facebook to socialize and share with other crafters.
Apple Pie Filling in a Jar from OurBestBites.com Click Image for Tutorial
With Valentine’s Day coming up, we’re all working on plenty of homemade gifts for our loved ones, but sometimes we forget about an important step in creating a gift that truly comes from the heart. Instead of placing those cookies on a paper plate this year, show someone you really care by creating a personalized package that they can enjoy even when their homemade gift is gone. Here are some tips for making the packaging and wrapping of your homemade gifts just as special as the gifts themselves:
Glass jars can easily be decorated to create a lovely package for your homemade bath scrub, lotion, or cookie recipe. Here are some decorating tips and tutorials to make your jar look better than anything store bought:
- Decorative Labels can be designed with adhesive paper and a decorative punch.
- Use these Chalkboard Tags to write a personal message.
- Ribbon and Twine can be tied around the neck to hold a label or recipe.
- Tint your jars with food coloring and Mod Podge
- Canning Jars have a ring around the lid that is separate from the top which makes it easy to add fabric or scrapbook paper to the lid.
From “Recycled Storage” Click Image for Tutorial
Instead of storing your treats in tupperware, surprise your loved ones with a sturdy and personalized metal tin. Here are some tips to get the most out of this unique storage:
- Spray paint the tin for a clean matte look. Use chalkboard spray paint for even more personalization and fun.
- Add an adhesive paper label
- Use a mod podge to add fabric or paper
- Transfer an image onto the tin with a creative medium. Follow the tutorial here.
Paper Mache boxes are easy to decorate and come in a large variety of shapes and sizes. You’re sure to find something that will please your recipient! Here are some tips on decorating Paper Mache Boxes:
- Use a stencil to paint designs and letters.
- Mod podge old pictures, book pages, or newspapers.
- Glue ribbon and other embellishments.
- Add a small plastic toy or embellishment and spray paint the box one color.
- Paint the whole thing with regular craft paint, then take a stencil and paint a label with chalkboard paint.
Homemade gifts are thoughtful and always appreciated. Surprise your recipients with packaging that does the same. An everyday container can become something special with a little bit of imagination and a glue gun, mod podge, or some ribbon.