Memorial DayMay 28, 2012 10:56 am Crafts
Memorial Day is so much more than an extra day off and decorating your porch with red, white and blue. Taking the time to honor our many fallen heroes can make the day much more memorable.
Here are some others ways to celebrate the patriotic spirit of this day:
1. Donate to families of soldiers who are wounded or have lost their lives.
2. Observe the National Moment of Remembrance. The Moment occurs on Memorial Day, 3 PM, local time, for 1 minute. You can choose to observe this moment in any way you like. It is the sentiment that counts.
3. Visit a gravesite and offer flowers to those U.S. Troops who have died in the nation’s service.
4. Plan a family reunion or Get Together. It may be as simple and informal as a backyard barbecue.
5. Plan a family picnic. Get kids to help with preparing picnic food. This is also a wonderful way to enjoy the summer season.
6. Throw an informal Grilling or Barbecue party. Throw some burgers on the grill and invite your friends over and enjoy.
7. Wear your American spirit proudly. Badges, Pins, Shirts – make it a point to wear something that shows your patriotism.
9. Educate your kids about Memorial Day’s history and origin and the history of U.S. Military. Read to them stories with a patriotic message and encourage them to look up dictionaries and encyclopedias on the subject.
10. Have kids participate in Memorial Day parades and other such activities.
Article Provided by AllHolidayRecipes.com, Great Recipes for All Holidays!