Lace Plates from Krylon Spray Paint

4:29 am Crafts, Home Decor
2 Flares 2 Flares ×

By Craft Celebrity Mark Montano, from the blog Mark Montano’s Big Ass Blog.

This is probably one of my favorite projects to make since I’m always finding terrific glass dishes that need sprucing up a bit. A little lace, a little spray paint and you’ve got something amazing. Add some adhesive felt on the back if you’re going to hang plates as wall decor, or use it as a pretty patterned tray.

You’ll need:

Here’s How:

Step 1.  Cut a piece of lace larger than your plate so that it covers all the edges of the plate.

Step 2. Spray your lace with the Spray Adhesive and stick it to the back of the glass plate so that all of the lace is sticking to the plate.

Step 3. Lightly spray paint over the entire plate. Gently remove the lace after the paint is dry.

Step 4. Spray the entire back of the plate with another color of spray paint. Choose contrasting colors for the most impact.

Step 5. Spray several coats of clear coat on the BACK of the plate to protect the spray paint.  Wait 10 minutes in between each coat.

Step. 6  Add some sticky felt on the back if it’s just for decoration.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 1 Google+ 1 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- 2 Flares ×
The following two tabs change content below.

Mark Montano

Latest posts by Mark Montano (see all)

10 Responses
  1. Jayanna Corbin :

Date: April 10, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

I love this! And since I always have some Fusion paint on hand, I will definately be trying this!! thank you!!!

2. Virginia :

Date: April 10, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

WOW!! Those instructions and that project is awesome. LOVE IT!

3. Linda :

Date: April 11, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

Can these be washed by hand? or is this a strictly for-show platter?

4. ME :

Date: April 11, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

Are these safe to eat on.

5. Carol Morris :

Date: April 12, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

I also would like to know if they are food safe and washable. I love the look!

6. Mark Montano :

Date: April 12, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

Hello All! Glad you like the project. YES, these are safe to eat on because all of the paint is on the back (underside) of the plate. If you finish them with some Minwax polycrylic they will last. I would gently hand wash them and keep them out of the dishwasher! Hope that helps! http://www.markmontanoblogs.blogspot.com!

7. ME :

Date: April 12, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Guess I originally missed the words “CLEAR glass plate”. Of course they would have to be clear to see the design from the front. Thanks for clarifying.

8. Maurine :

Date: April 13, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

I was unable to download this pattern . I tried 2x and first one last half of directions printed, second time the first half of it printed. It was very frustrating.

9. Brenda B :

Date: April 14, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

My mother made these as a parting gift for each of her children & grand children before she passed away. We all cherish them.

10. Lori :

Date: December 31, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

Found lace curtains for about $1.00 at a thrift store that work–I teach art in a small Christian school and we are on a budget!!