How to Make Easy Animal EarsOctober 11, 2011 4:32 am Birthdays, Crafts, Halloween, Holidays, Jewelry Making, Kid's Crafts
By Sewing Contributor Jessica, from the blog Life Sew Good.
My daughter recently had a Hello Kitty birthday party, so I made all the little girls kitty ears. This tutorial can easily be modified for monkeys, bears, puppies, or whatever fits your costume!
1. Cut ears from fleece. CUT 4. To get the right ratio, if making kitty, bear, or monkey ears, the base should be about 3 ½” wide. Make a mark 2 ½” high and free hand draw a curved line, either pointy for a kitty or rounded like a bear or monkey. If making a dog or other animal, you may want taller ears.
2. Cut band from fleece—CUT 1. Cut a 12 ½” x 1 ½” rectangle.
3. Sew Ears. Stack 2 ears, right sides together. Simply sew a seam close to the edge on the 2 sides—or on the rounded part. Do not sew the base. Repeat to make 2nd ear.
4. Take your fleece band and fold in half, bringing short sides together. Measure ½” from the middle on each side. Make a mark. Make slits for the ears that measure ½” from the center of the band and 2 ½” to 3″ down.
5. With right sides together, insert ears into the slits you have made.
6. Sew seam close to edge. Trim the extra fabric.
7. Fold band over, matching all edges, wrong sides together. Sew a wide zig-zag stitch across the long edge. Also enclose one edge.
8. Insert head band through open edge. Close end with seam.
Decorate as desired!!