Welcome Back to School WreathAugust 20, 2011 4:34 am Back to School, Crafts, Fall, Floral Crafts, Guest Bloggers, Holidays, Home Decor, Seasons
By FloraCraft Designers from the Blog “Make It: Fun”.
It’s time for Back to School! Make this wreath for your classroom, your favorite teacher or just to get in the Back to School spirit!
- FloraCraft Foam Wreath, 14″
- Back to School Paper 12″ x 12″
- 2 1/2″ tall chipboard letters to spell “WELCOME”
- Paint marker, fine tip, blue
- Glue Dots, thin-small and thin-medium
- Two all purpose glue sticks
- 12″ paper trimmer to cut paper even with edges of letters
- 12″ x 12″ self healing cutting mat
- Precision tip scissors
- Craft knife
- Large paper clip
- School items: wood ruler, scissors, yellow pencil, spiral notebook, three crayons, paint brush and school glue stick.
1. Use paper trimmer to cut approx. 1″ x 9″ strips from four sheets of paper. Note that to wrap wreath in paper strips, papers will slightly overlap along outside, but will overlap by about half the strips’ width on inside edge of wreath. This allows for even wrapping all around wreath. Apply glue stick to wreath, going all around wreath for several inches at a time. Wrap paper strip, with ends slightly overlapping on back. Continue going around wreath.
2.For hanger, on top back, use craft knife to make 1/4″ long, shallow horizontal slit (about 1/4″ from inside edge of wreath). Carefully insert knife blade into slit, angled up toward top and remove. Slightly separate curved ends of paper clip 1/4″. Insert shorter rounded end up into slit, creating hanger loop with longer end of paper clips. (Glue if loose.)
3.To cover letters, turn a patterned paper right side down on table. Apply glue stick to fronts of letters and place onto back of paper. Place paper on self healing cutting mat. Use precision tips scissors to cut apart letters. Then, use craft knife to cut paper even with edges of letters. Outline letters with blue paint marker. Let dry.
4.Refer to photo to evenly place letters at top of wreath, keeping in mind position of hanger on back. With top 2/3 of letters extending beyond edge of wreath, use glue spots to attach.
5.Use paint marker to write teacher’s name and class on first page of opened notebook. Refer to photo to plan placement of school items. Use appropriate size glue dots to attach.
6.Optional: Tuck children’s school pictures among items on wreath.