Jar Pin Cushion & MagnetMarch 15, 2011 4:38 am Crafts, Home Decor, Sewing
By Sewing Contributor Jessica, from the blog “Life Sew Good”.
My mom used to decorate jars with fabric on the top all the time. Here’s a fresh way to make yourself a shabby chic little pin cushion that has secret little powers—magnetic powers!
Here’s how to make yours!
1. Find a cute jar.
2. Since I only had batting, I used the lid to measure a couple of pieces of batting to top my jar. You can use loose pillow stuffing, which probably works better, although it may turn out lumpier. I don’t know!
3. I sewed my batting pieces together. Tip: Keep edges of the lid free or your jar won’t close!
4. Using a hot glue gun, glue the batting to the lid.
5. Using the lid with the batting attached as a guide, cut a piece of fabric that will give you plenty of room to wrap around the top of the lid and then to attach to the bottom of the lid. I would add about 1″ to 1 ½” to the circumference of your lid. You can always cut it down if you need.
6. Pull the fabric tightly across the top of your batting and wrap around the bottom of the lid. Attach fabric to the bottom with a hot glue gun.
7. Take a small magnet. You don’t even have to glue it; it should hold to the bottom of your lid!
8. Add your own embellishments to the jar. I kept my super simple by gluing rick-rack on the jar.