Glass Fusing in your Microwave!

4:42 pm Crafts, Jewelry Making
150 Flares 150 Flares ×

I’ve been fusing glass for about 5 years now and it’s a craft that is always fascinating. Glass fusing is basically layering several pieces of glass with the same COE and then fusing the pieces together in a kiln or heat source.  The layers of glass create a new single piece of glass.  You can then go on to slump the fused glass using a mold to create bowls, plates, and all kinds of art.

The process is time consuming.  You must create a design or use a pattern.  You need to cut the pieces of glass.  Clean all the pieces to remove any oils or dust.  You then layer your pieces onto a kiln shelf (that is either prepared with kiln wash to prevent sticking or with a piece of shelf paper). You then must fire or bake the glass in a kiln for a timed process.  You can’t just super heat glass because it will shatter so you slowly ramp up the heat in the kiln until the glass melts and then slowly ramp the heat down.  There are schedules prepared by the manufacturers of the glass to help you time the firing.  Once fired, the glass must cool before you can continue.  Fused pieces can take several hours or several days to create. The end result is worth it!

Diamond Tech has created a product kit that turns glass fusing into a very do-able, easy to understand process with its Fuseworks Beginner’s Fusing Kit.  Imagine fusing glass in your microwave in minutes! I have to be very honest, I couldn’t believe fusing could be done so quickly, but all my doubts were gone after my first fusing with the kit and its mini Fuseworks Microwave Kiln!!!

You get a ton of stuff in the kit: an assortment of 90 COE glass, Dichroic bits and pieces (beautiful patterned glass), millefiori glass (small discs that have patterns like flowers and such), confetti glass (thin shards of glass), kiln paper, glass cutter, hot mitts, and jewelry findings (earring sets and bails), plus very well written instructions.  You can make many fused jewelry pieces with the supplies included in the kit.

And it really is as easy as cutting your glass, laying down the kiln paper, stacking your glass, putting the top on the kiln, placing the kiln in your microwave and microwaving for a few minutes!!!  I was thrilled with my pieces and I didn’t have to fire up my kiln… all I needed was my microwave. Your piece is even annealed during the 40-50 minute cool down.

A few words to know when fusing:

Anneal: this is a process where the glass becomes its strongest, all glass pieces should be annealed or there is a good chance of the glass cracking over time.

COE: Coeffcient of Expansion, this is usually given to you as a number: 90 COE, 104 COE.  All glass has a COE number and you can only fuse glass pieces that have the same COE number.  In other words you can’t mix a piece of glass with a 90 COE with a piece of glass with a 104 COE.  Manufacturers will give you the COE of their glass.

Dichroic Glass: A glass with multiple micro-layers of metal oxides which give the glass optical properties.

Dichroic glass shimmers when fused.

Dichroic glass shimmers when fused.

Millefiori: A glass work technique where rods of patterned glass are formed and then cut into small discs.

Many discs of millfiori are fused to create this pendant.

Many discs of millfiori are fused to create this pendant.

Check out my next blog when guest blogger Jeanne Baruth goes into detail about using this new Fuseworks Microwave Kiln!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
150 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 15 Pin It Share 135 Google+ 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- 150 Flares ×
The following two tabs change content below.

Amy A

Amy Anderson is a 32-year-old transplant from Seattle living in Atlanta, Georgia. She was born from creative genes, and is carrying on the tradition. She has been knitting for 17 years, sewing for longer and decoupaging for just a few. She does all of these things on a daily basis, or at least as much as she can. In addition to Mod Podge, Amy loves the color blue, dogs, reading, cold weather, funny movies, road rallies, yogurt, garden gnomes, sock monkeys, running, tattoos, being outdoors, buttons, snuggling and apparently blogging. Amy says “who knew I could enjoy crafting and then blogging about it this much?” You can find more of Amy’s work at “Mod Podge Rocks!”

Latest posts by Amy A (see all)

23 Responses
  1. Rach W. :

Date: January 5, 2009 @ 7:47 PM

I so want this!

2. stacy :

Date: January 6, 2009 @ 8:02 PM

OOOOh, I love this!

3. Phyllis W. :

Date: January 7, 2009 @ 1:10 PM

Wow!! I am a fused glass artist working with 96 COE, in traditional kilns. This microwave process is very exciting for the beginner or for someone wanting to try it out before taking the big step of buying a larger glass kiln.

If the wire wrap idea for a necklace is not up your alley, then consider drilling a small hole using a diamond drill bit on your Dremel at 5k rpm (do it in water) Have fun!!

4. Kelly W :

Date: February 11, 2009 @ 2:48 PM

I have 2 microwave kilns. The smaller is the fuseworks and it fuses quickly. the larger one goes slower but I can fuse several peices at once. they can be unpredictable if you don’t watch closley, but I love them.

5. Rose H. :

Date: March 10, 2009 @ 6:55 PM

Is there a microwave kiln that will melt 96 COE glass? If so, do you know who makes it? Thanks!

6. Sarah M :

Date: January 15, 2010 @ 1:25 AM

Can anyone advise if there is a way of fusing bigger pieces than jewellery in your microwave? i.e. are there bigger kilns that you can purchase?

7. Colleen :

Date: March 5, 2010 @ 6:37 PM

I have a question: I just got a fuseworks kiln, and my question is about the glass… I’ve worked with 96 coe for 4 yrs., and I know I need 90 coe for this kiln. Do I HAVE to use fuseworks glass, or can I use Bullseye 90 coe?

8. Joshua Smith :

Date: May 5, 2010 @ 1:13 AM

Hi! we are supplier for fused glass for over 30 years. It was great pleasure to go through your blog.

9. Connie :

Date: July 25, 2010 @ 9:08 AM

Very informative posting!

10. sherry :

Date: September 5, 2010 @ 6:13 AM

I am new to the fuseworks microwave kiln I have tried fussing some glass and the corners are still pointed and the back of the glass is not very smooth I have tried sanding not working could you help me out I have time my glass longest time is 5min

11. Alejandra :

Date: November 25, 2010 @ 3:25 PM

Has anyone fused 96 COE glass with this kiln?
    Is it a no-no or does it just take a little longer in the microwave oven?

12. pam :

Date: November 30, 2011 @ 12:52 PM

Hi there, My daughter in america gave me a beautiful fused necklace. I am in south africa and
    cant to get any info on glass fusing. The microwave seems to be very interesting. Where could i order
    the necessary to be able to get started.
    Thanks for an interesting read.

regards

13. Steph :

Date: December 22, 2011 @ 2:30 PM

Hi! I’ve recently bought this kit and I’m having trouble fusing Dichroic Glass, every time I try it melts so the color doesn’t show up. Am I heating it too long? Is there a special way to work with Dichroic glass?
    ThankS1

14. Microwave craft | Portonoire :

Date: April 3, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

[...] Blog Archive Glass Fusing in your Microwave! – Think Crafts BlogJan 5, 2009 … Think Crafts Blog – Craft Ideas and Projects – CreateForLess · Home · About … Imagine fusing glass in your microwave in minutes! I have to be … [...]

15. chat :

Date: October 7, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

Very nice publish, i definitely love this website, keep on it

16. Sonja Jefferys :

Date: January 25, 2013 @ 9:51 AM

I am looking to buy a microwave kiln of a decent size – about a 9″ dia. Please let me know where I can get one and the approx price.

Sonja

17. Marian :

Date: June 9, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

I want to make my own oven for microwaves. I need the material which heat when interacts with microwaves. Can anyone say what is the name of this material?
    my mail is
    mariangraficart@yahoo.com

18. Luise :

Date: July 3, 2013 @ 1:49 PM

Hi.

Where can I buy this beginner’s fusing kit for the microwave? And what is the price?
    I just love your blog :-)

Thanks,
    Luise

19. Sam :

Date: October 3, 2013 @ 3:33 AM

I have one of these and I love it. I like the fact you are not too sure how it might turn out. It let’s me be creative when incorporating it into a piece of jewellery. I have started to wire wrap some pieces for a different look.

20. Linda :

Date: October 30, 2013 @ 8:16 AM

Hi
    Where can i buy this microwave kiln and what will it cost.

Thanks
    Linda

21. Linda :

Date: October 31, 2013 @ 7:53 AM

i need a price on this microwave kiln kits
    Thanks
    Linda
    South Africa

22. pravinia :

Date: December 6, 2013 @ 4:47 PM

pravinia

[...]although internet websites we backlink to beneath are considerably not related to ours, we feel they may be truly worth a go through, so possess a look[...]

23. Custom Cabinets :